Horror start to 2020
The Chamber Executive and members, along with our wider communities, are all reeling from the experiences of January 2020. At time of writing, it is 1st February 2020 and Eden and surrounds is again being threatened by fire.
The actuality of the fires and their effects on us all have been well documented. Whilst our own focus is on business, by way of support, training and mentoring, Our Eden – your Chamber of Commerce consists of local residents who are also heavily impacted. So they know how the community is feeling.
What is the Chamber doing to help?
At first the problem was overwhelming, but the Chamber was immediately engaged by:
- Bega Valley Shire Council – Disaster Recovery Committee
- NSW Business Chamber
- NSW Small Business Commissioner
- Sapphire Coast Destination Marketing and Destination NSW/Southern NSW
- Federal Dept. of Industry
- University of Wollongong Innovation Hub
- Business Council of Australia
to name a few.
- we’re a small volunteer group but we have a voice at the table;
- we can take your concerns to other levels of government. Just ask to see some of our Executive through the Our Eden Facebook page.
- know that by having direct links to government agencies, the Chamber can fact check a lot of what bureaucracy is up to and ask to be kept updated. We can then pass that on to the public.
- We’ve made a lot of noise to the right people on behalf of small business and the wider community since the fires and will continue to do so.
Want to help out or be involved? Come along to a meeting – all are welcome. Let’s all work together and bring our community back to life again.
Thanks for understanding that we are all affected by these fires. Ensure that you Register at the Disaster Recovery Centre either in Bega or at the Eden Log Cabin Thursdays and Saturdays 10am – 2pm. If you need someone to talk to, call Lifeline on 13 1114.